In 1919 the company T.G. John and Company Ltd. was founded by Thomas George John. In 1921 the company officially changed its name to The Alvis Car and Engeneering Company Ltd. The first Alvis 4-cilinder engine was designed in the same year. 1922 became an important year for Alvis. First the company changed location to Coventry and second 2 new employees were hired, George Smiths-Clarke and William Dunn. The partnership between the two men lasted for 28 years and resulted in the production of the most succesful cars in Alvis history. The first car using the 4-cilinder engine was the Alvis 10/30 and the car was an immediate success. After improving the engine to an overhead valve version, this engine was used in the Alvis 12/50, also becoming a very successful car, produced until 1932. In parallel the new 6-cilinder engine became the new standard and was used in all the luxurious cars produced up until the start of WW2. These cars were also equiped with the latest technology; independent front suspension, full synchro gearbox, later followed by servo assisted brakes. in 1928 the Alvis 12/75 was introduced, equipped with front-wheel-drive and inboard brakes. In 1936 the company name was changed into Alvis Ltd. Car production stopped in 1939 following the outbreak of WW2.